Our Mission with the Peace Corps is as follows.
1) We are here to help people meet basic human needs.
2) We are here to help promote mutual understanding and acceptance among Americans and peoples of other cultures.
3) We are here to help people understand the impact of HIV/AIDS and to accept new ways of reducing this disease.
4) We are here to represent the ideals, culture and ways of the American people.
I am a Peace Corp Volunteer is Botswana, Africa. I work in the Molepolole District AIDS Coordinating Office. The office coordinates all activities in the Community that help prevent the spread of HIV/AIDS as well as provide care and support for those affected and effected by the disease. I specifically help strengthen the systems by providing better technical support to the office. I started serving in this capacity September 13, 2011. My service is scheduled to end November 13, 2013.
I have owned or worked for several family owned and operated companies in the capacities of IT and Finance. I have also provided consulting services in regards to management, strategy, IT development and implementation.
I attended Scattergood School for Friends Quaker High School, and the University of Illinois.
I am married and have a 22 year old son, John Kyle.
I also have a pilot’s license and I really miss flying and doing Pottery!
My hobbies include flying, pottery, travel, fishing, scuba diving cooking and the list goes on and on…..
I am a Peace Corp Volunteer in Botswana, Africa. I work at a Junior High School and help implement learning tools and skills to prevent the spread of HIV/AIDS and help diminish the affect of AIDS in the community. I started serving in this capacity September 13, 2011. My service is scheduled to end November 13, 2013.
I have spent most of my professional life in government or politics/campaigns. Most of my governmental work was in state finance, I started working for the Illinois General Assembly in 1986 after I graduated from college. I have also worked for the Cook County budget office, Illinois Office of the State Comptroller, the Illinois Tollway Authority, and the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission with positions ranging from policy and financial analysis to Chief Financial Officer.
I have also worked on several local and state campaigns in professional and volunteer capacities. I have done other volunteer work for the Chicago Chapter of the National Organization for Women PAC Committee, Read to Learn Programs, Illinois Organ Donor Program, Illinois Certified Public Accountant Society, and the Center for Independent Living.
I am the oldest daughter of Rick Reckamp and Joyce Halcomb, as well as a sister to Rich, Matt and Brad Reckamp. I am also an step mother, aunt, niece and cousin to many to many people.
I love reading literature, watching movies, cooking, camping, cards and board games. I also enjoy fishing, traveling, attending professional and semi-professional sporting events and finding the perfect microbrew beer.
I am lucky to have several good friends, most of which are low maintenance. They are the sort of people that share intense moments good and bad so peaceably and perfectly that I can’t help but love them and share back. Sometimes long lulls grow in these friendships, but time and time again I have found the heart beating strong when we meet again.
I love my husband so darn much!! I think he is a perfect human being! More precisely I think he is perfect for me. He comes from a great and supportive family. He is someone you can always count on to take care of your heart, head and your back. He is so kind and respectful and he makes me want to be a better person every single day of my life.
I’m not sure I have ever known what I wanted to be when I grow up. However, I have found that I have almost always liked my work and I have been able to continue to grow. I am fortunate to have had so many jobs that provided public service and personal fulfillment. I don’t have any idea what I plan to do in the future. I am certain that I am enjoying my work today.
Other silly things:
- Favorite Book: A Prayer for Owen Meany
- Favorite Band: Meatloaf and Emmylou Harris
- Favorite Movie: Amadeus
- Favorite sports: Football (recent convert from baseball)
- Favorite Fish to catch: Blue Gill for eating but King Salmon for catching
- Favorite color: Pink
- Favorite food: Thai
- Favorite place to visit: Thailand
- Favorite card game: Pinochle or Euchre
- Favorite board game: Rubix Cube or Apples to Apples
- Favorite saying: Never quit
- Favorite thing to do with my husband: Foot rubs while watching movies
- Favorite outdoor activity: Reading in the sun on lazy days and working in the garden on energy days
- Thing most likely to make me giggle: Farts (I know that is pedestrian – but I can’t help it)
- Last time I cried: When taking the Setswana Language test.
- Last time I was really happy: This morning when I woke up to another day
- Hugest waste of my time: It has been watching Law and Order – but I expect that to change since moving to Africa. Update: While I don’t feel like I ever exactly waste my time by choice I now feel like I waste a lot of time waiting for the internet to connect or update. But not that much time because it is mostly never available. (I still miss Law and Order).
- Thing I want to change the most: Lack of patience
- Thing I like the most about myself: I’m smart but not too smart
2 Responses to About Us and Our Mission